New York City – even without a raging blizzard or its aftermath – is a mad world always on the move and many a musicians’ muse. Here’s a handy list of what you need to keep in mind if you are visiting New York City that has recently grabbed headlines due to the blizzards that led to over 10,000 flight cancellations throwing life out of gear. One man even went as far as to build an igloo and list it on a popular vacation rental site!
One way to know what is happening with flights if you are in New York is with help of Trip38, a travel itinerary planner that shows you the flight statuses. It also has a track my trip feature so that your folks know your whereabouts in the city. The Trip38 app can be downloaded for free on iOS and Android.
Here are a few other things that you can do:
- Check with hotels for discounted rates if you are staying for longer than planned.
- Keep your travel itinerary app handy as it lists the emergency contact numbers that you may need.
- Stay glued to the weather updates.
- Stay tuned to social media like Facebook and Twitter for updates about maintenance work, cancellations, suspended services etc.
- Avoid using gas stove, and propane and kerosene heating.
- Call property managers and 311 if you need hot water or heating.
- Get into one of the drop-in centres if a Code Blue alert is sounded and you are not close to your hotel or are lost.
- Follow the rules if you are driving; inflated tires, half-full gas tank, seat belts, no parking brakes.
- Be prepared to re-book your flight.
- Carry road flares, snack bars, water and cell phone charges; a survival kit of sorts will come in handy if you get stuck anywhere.
- Check with the hotel concierge if you are planning to visit any of the tourist attractions as they may be closed temporarily.
- Use Trip38 app to locate a lounge at the airport in case your flight is delayed.
- Make sure you have travel insurance.
- Wear warm clothes and stay covered as much as possible when outside.
- Stay away from fallen wires.
These are just a few things to keep in mind if you are heading to New York this season. But don’t let that stop you from enjoying the fabulous city!